Saturday, January 28, 2012

QR Explained

Someone asked me recently about those little black and white boxes that are popping up in all sorts of places. 

Places like coupon inserts and advertisements. 

See the one there on the left, below the Treat Your Sweets picture?  Well, after a little googling, I have learned that those little black and white boxes are what you call a QR Code. 

QR Codes are "quick links" or "hot links" to web pages.  I read that scanning the code saves you the time it would take to type out the web address (I didn't say I thought it was completely locgical!).  I type pretty fast, so I think I could beat the QR Reader, but I still think these things are neat.  And I think we're going to see them popping up more and more often! 

It works like a barcode but you use your iPhone (or Android?)  instead of a cash register.  You'll need to find a QR Reader ap for your phone, I loaded a free one just to see how it worked.  Basically you open the QR Reader and hold it above the QR Code so that it "scans" the picture.  Then, as if by magic, your phone will pull up the webpage encrypted into the code.  I just gotta say I think it's a totally cool thing!  Of course, the big marketing firms are using the data as a marketing tool, but it's still really cool!  And the great thing is that you can scan it right off this computer screen (unless you're reading this on your phone!).  I have already scanned the above code a dozen times, but I tried it again just to be sure it will work and it did!  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment