Friday, September 16, 2011

UPDATE: Hostess 50-cent Coupon, Did It Double?

I took my Hostess 50-cent coupon to Market Place and learned three very important things this morning.

1.) Market Place registers do not have hand-held scanners
2.) Market Place checkouts will not scan the new Databar 
3.) The numbers on the Databar can not be entered manually the way the old fashioned barcodes could 

I see coupon problems in our future....

Fortunately, today I had a very well trained cashier who worked and worked at the register until she was able to key in the 50-cents and it did double.  As for the coupon itself, the jury is officially out on whether or not it will double on it's own.  Since I have heard from two couponers that the register failed to double, I believe it does have something to do with the Databar coding.  Not sure if this will be a problem with all Databar coupons, or if it will be a select group.  Time will definitely tell since the new Databar will take over soon.  I actually googled this and the date is 2014...I am pretty sure I read that it was coming much sooner than that?

A lot of stores will not accept a coupon if it won't scan.  This is especially true when internet printable coupons are presented.  I can see this policy causing a lot of problems for couponers if the store register has not been updated to read the new Databar.  My best advice, if you run into this issue: Don't Panic!  Remain Calm!  Try to explain that your coupon is valid and that the problem may be that the register isn't able to read the new coupon format.  Remember, you'll catch more discounts with honey...or something like that!

2 comments:

  1. I used another coupon at my local Kroger and it did not double. The cashier said they will scan like they are suppose to. I'm sure it would if the registers were updated for the new data bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty @ Hopkins County CouponerSeptember 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

    Uh oh, is Kroger out of date, too? We are is big trouble!

    ReplyDelete