Thursday, June 30, 2011

What is The Hopkins County Couponer?

If you're new to couponing, I doubt you're reading this blog.  I say that because to find this blog, you've probably had to be couponing for a while.  The Hopkins County Couponer is still a little obscure.  It's still a little green.  Now, if you are reading this post, I am inviting (begging!) you to leave a comment.  Please ask me a question about myself, about couponing, about the weather, I don't care.  Just leave a comment so I can do another post and call it Q&A with the Hopkins County Couponer!  I'd like to make this a weekly feature on the blog.  You see, I want a weekly post for each day.  I've got a couple days covered, but I still have a few to fill up.  If you have a topic suggestion, I'm all ears!

In the mean time....

The blog was born on May 29th, 2011 because I couldn't find any blogs/websites that ever mentioned shopping in Hopkins County Kentucky (from a couponer's prospective).  I had found a Facebook group, but it mostly concentrated on the Paducah area.  And I was sick and tired of reading about all the good deals across the country and the prices attached to them only to find higher prices or no such deals here in Hopkins County.  I hope that someday I can find similarly great deals to share with my fellow Hopkins Countians!  If you find a great deal, I'd love to hear about it.  And it doesn't have to be a couponing deal.  It can be a great sale at any of the great retailers here in the county.  Furniture, cars, restaurants, I'd love to pass the info along on the blog!  This could work out especially well if you have a job and work on commission!  Email me at:  hopkinscountycouponer@gmail.com   I'm also in the process of adding a Yard Sale Announcements section!

Oh, you're probably wondering where I get the coupon info I pass along.  Some of it comes in emails from manufacturers.  I can not guess how many e-newsletters I have signed up for over the past five months!  But, most of the information comes from the 14 or 15 other blogs/websites I subscribe to on a daily basis.  You get a lot of recycled coupon info when you get that many emails about couponing everyday.  I try to weed out anything that doesn't apply here and repost the things that work for us here in Hopkins County.  And I have been really surprised by the misinformation I have come across on the "bigger" couponing websites/blogs.  I'm sure that the information isn't purposefully wrong, if you host a large website/blog I'm sure it's more difficult to filter the information.  At this time, I do not get any monetary reward for this blog.  Maybe someday....but for now, it's just me and my keyboard passing along the info to you.

Here's another tid-bit about me:  Being an ethical couponer is something that I strive to be when I coupon.  Sometimes, a really great deal is not an ethical deal and even I have a hard time passing up things that are "free".  But, I try to remind myself that coupons are a privilege and if they are misused, the consequences will affect everyone not just those who misuse them.  If there is a coupon scenario that I am unsure about, I will not post it without saying "try this at your own risk".  In fact, I try to only post things that I have tried successfully or that I am fairly sure will work without problems.  If you come across some bad information on The Hopkins County Couponer, I want to know about it!  And please remember you're still a human being when you pick up your coupon binder/caddy.  I'll be the first to admit that couponing sometimes feels like a game of strategy rather than a way to save money.  But, please don't go into a store and treat the employees like they are pawns in your own personal coupon game.  Behind that name tag is a real, live person with ethics and feelings just like you and me.  As they say, if you're nice to others they'll be nice to you.  Sometimes that just isn't true, but most of the time it is!

Thanks again, and happy couponing!
--The Hopkins County Couponer (6/30/2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment